Our take on String Art

The boys always had their name on their doors in one form or another. The old name signs were, well, old. So last school holidays we agreed to tackle making some new ones.

Being a house with lots of photography, I suggested including some photos. And the young one had found some pictures with big string art and wanted to somehow incorporate that idea as well. We had done some little card string art ages ago, so they are well familiar with the concept.

As with most creative things the most time is spent on planning and thinking and measuring. To fit the door, we were pretty much set in terms of size, so that was easy for a change. At the local hardware store we got some lovely thick, but light wood panels, and had them cut to the correct sizes. As we needed the initial M and the initial J, one wood panel had to be longer on the vertical side, the other on the horizontal side.

Both decided on the photos they would like to have included. It was my task to fit these photos on a sheet of paper that would fit their respective wood panel. I did this in Photoshop, naturally.Β  I desaturated the photos a lot, left only a hint of colour, I wanted the look quite graffic.

One’s favourite colour is blue, the other one’s is red, so the colours of string were easily decided on, too.

I found nails with a nice head and the appropriate length. The idea was to have the nails very sparingly around the board, it was merely to outline the initial, and gaps were meant to remain. The nails also were meant to avoid people’s heads and faces. I cut out the initials on large sheets of white paper, to use as a guide.

The photo collages were printed on normal paper, and simply pasted onto the wood panels with Mod Podge, being very careful to smooth the Mod Podge with a sponge, rather than a brush. After several layers of Mod Podge (and a lot of drying in between) I applied a couple of layers of glossy sealer.

Once that was dry, we placed the cut out paper initials on each wood panel and strategically hammered the nails (avoiding heads) gently in regular intervals. This was fun, but one has to be careful because missing the nail means hitting the photo collage πŸ™‚

Last step was wrap the string around the nails. It took a few attempts to get it all around and fill the gaps, without filling them too much.

And there you have it: our take on string artΒ  πŸ™‚

Untitled-1

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: